- How many attributes are mentioned in this poem?
Three attributes are given in the poem. These are Seeing, Hearing, and Knowing.
- What makes one scare of sinning?
The eye of God or the attribute of seeing makes us scare of sinning.
- What are the effects of the attributes of God?
The attributes of God are effective in building and refining our character.
- Mention three more attributes of God. [2006,
The Merciful, the Remember, and the Creator are the three more attributes other than those mentioned in the poem.
- How do these attributes help in refining the character of a person? Or What is the importance of God’s attributes?
The attributes of God play a role of vital importance in building human character. Hearing checks a person from using a foul language. The attributes of seeing and knowing prevent a person from doing wrong deeds. So the attributes help in refining the character of a person.
- God calls Himself “Hearing” How does this attribute of God help on in daily speech? Or How does the attribute of “Hearing” help one in daily speech?
The attribute “Hearing” checks a person from using a foul language.
- Do you think these attributes of God are remembered and kept in mind by us in our daily routine work?
No these attributes are not remembered and kept in mind by us in our daily routine work. There are hardly some people who remember these attributes in our daily life.
- Write down a few sentences for each of the attributes of God-given below with reference to the present lifestyle.
- Seeing to the end:
God sees each of our movements and actions. Besides this, we are engaged in sin.
- Hearing to the end:
God hears whatever we whisper or say. He is aware of our intentions and thoughts. This attribute checks us from using a foul language.
- Knowing to the end:
God is omniscient. He is aware of our intention and thoughts. We should not violate His Order.
Reference To The Context
These lines have been taken from the poem, “God’s attributes” written by Jalaluddin Rumi translated by Dr. Nichalson.
In this poem the poet describes the importance of the attributes of God. He stresses the study of these attributes and understands the real sense of these attributes so as to make our life more and more successful. These attributes prevent us from committing sins. The attributes of God are 99 in number.
In these lines, the poet says the attributes of God play a role of vital importance in building human character. The attribute of Hearing checks a person from using a foul language. The attribute of the All-seeing restrains us from wrongdoing. Similarly, the attribute of the All-Knowing makes us afraid of plotting evils against others. So the attributes help in refining the character of a person.
In these lines, the poet says that the various titles of God have definite meaning and background. They are not settled by chance as a Negro may be called camphor. These attributes are actually derived from the qualities of God. Their purpose is to make us virtuous and show us the right path.